Summer is here in full force. There’s a heat wave going around the country and my Instagram feed tells me a bunch of you are spending quality time at the beach or pool. Since swimsuits are everyone’s go-to outfit these days, I’m going to share my secret on how to avoid looking like a beachy mess this summer – accessories. That’s why we all need these 5 must-have accessories this summer.
Before I left Arizona and headed to LA for the summer, I did what all females do before a big trip. I went shopping (obviously). Even though I’m trying to watch the credit card balance since we are in the middle of a home renovation, I couldn’t resist grabbing a few new things for the beach. Accessories are an easy and affordable way to change up any outfit. Therefore, I am so excited to partner with Tempe Marketplace on this blog post.
Tempe Marketplace is one of my go-to shopping destinations in Arizona for so many reasons. They have a huge selection of stylish and affordable stores (think Nordstrom Rack, Target, Old Navy, The Buckle and Divaz Boutique), a splash pad for the kids, a movie theater and awesome restaurants. They also host a bunch of fun events, including Summer Splash on Thursday afternoons which runs all summer long. If you are in the area, you’ve gotta swing by and check it out.
OK back to my top 5 accessories we all need this summer. When I think of affordable accessories, I think of one store. Charming Charlie. I did some damage at Charming Charlie at Tempe Marketplace because they had so many cute things. And the first thing that caught my eye was this adorable kimono.
1. We all need a kimono this summer. It’s such a versatile piece that can be worn so many different ways. I love pairing them with shorts or jeans and a tank for an easy, comfy boho look. Kimonos also are the perfect beach cover-up. I wore this one yesterday with a white swimsuit and it looked so stinking cute. Plus I still haven’t gotten over this palm print. I just love it.
2. Want to know my secret to bad beach hair? A big ole sun hat. I can’t get enough of them this year. I used to think I wasn’t a hat person and I realized I’ve been missing out for so many years. Now I wear them all the time with dresses or casual outfits as well as on the beach. Plus this way I don’t need to obsessively apply SPF on my face (wrinkles, stay far, far away). My personal favorite from Charming Charlie was this “Beach, please” hat. Gotta love a good joke that goes right over my kids’ heads.
3. By far my favorite accessory of 2018 is the straw bag. I don’t know what it is, but I’m a tiny bit obsessed. This rectangular woven straw bag is my latest addition to my collection and it might be my favorite. It was only $29, easily fits my wallet and clunky DSLR camera and has the cutest banana lining inside. Trust me, you want this bag in your life.
4. I’m convinced we all need a bold pair of shoes this summer. I’m a bit of a shoe hoarder and I had a hard time resisting every single pair at the store. These watermelon espadrilles are a total statement piece and I love these strappy rainbow sandals. I promise, no one will even notice a lack of makeup or greasy sunscreen skin with these puppies on your feet. See where I’m going with this one!
5. Finally, statement jewelry continues to huge this year. I’ll admit, I’m usually not a jewelry person when I’m at the beach, but I do like to throw on a pair of tassel earrings if I’m hanging poolside with my friends (aka when I’m not with my crazy kids). Charming Charlie had a few cute items, but some of their stuff is occasionally a little juvenile to me. Therefore, drive yourself to Target (also at Tempe Marketplace) and head straight to the Sugarfix by Baublebar section. All their statement earrings are only $12.99 and I can’t say enough good things about the collection. The perfect price point for on trend style. These pieces below are a few of my latest and greatest. I know I’ll be wearing the black pair all the way through fall and winter.
What other accessories do you guys wear when it’s crazy hot outside? Stay cool, my friends!